Columbus Celebrates Martin Luther King Jr. Day: Events & Activities List
Today, we’re celebrating the life of Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr and his profound legacy as leader of the civil rights movement. In honor and remembrance of Dr. King, check out these in-person and virtual events taking place around Columbus on Monday, January 17th.
- The 2022 City of Columbus MLK March will take place from 4:30pm-5:30pm in downtown Columbus, beginning at Columbus City Hall, located on 90 W. Broad St. After the march, head back to City Hall to see the building illuminated in lights and listen to event speakers.
- The MLK Day Open House Celebration at the Ohio History Center will host a variety of free activities throughout the day from 10:00am-5:00pm. Programs include speakers, a special film screening of The Green Book: Guide to Freedom, and activities for kids.
- The King Arts Complex is partnering with the Ohio History Center for their MLK Day Open House from 12:00pm-2:00pm to explore their 2022 theme, “Exemplify: The Dream.” Senator Hearcel Craig (OH-15) will be in attendance as keynote speaker, and the event will include live theatrical and musical performances honoring Dr. King.
- Seeds of Caring, a Columbus non-profit focused on engaging children ages 2-12 in service projects and social action, is also partnering with the Ohio History Center for their MLK Day Open House. From 12:00pm-4:00pm, children can participate in activities from poster making with Pint Sized Protestors to packing snack bags and personal care kits for local community members in need.
- The City of Columbus’ 37th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Birthday Breakfast will take place virtually, from 9:00am-11:00am, on MLKJrBreakfast.com. Tickets can be purchased for $25 to listen to keynote speaker and current Ohio State University president Kristina M. Johnson, PhD speak on the event’s theme, “How Long? Not Long.”